This is a confidential service which is available to any child who has difficulties in the following areas:
- Speaking and listening
- Social skills
Initial assessments and any necessary follow-up will be carried out/overseen by Mrs L Lewis, SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) and reported back to parents at each stage.
The department offers a wide range of support to ensure that the individual is offered help that is tailored specifically to their needs.
The Learning Support Department also provides the class/subject teachers with information and advice, about the child and their needs. This will be appropriate to their learning to ensure that they are able to reach their maximum potential within the classroom environment.
Supporting ‘Gifted and Talented’ learners
The attainment of a pupil may significantly exceed the expected level of attainment for their age group. When this occurs, teachers will use materials to extend the breadth of work within the area or areas for which the pupil shows particular aptitude.
The policy at Rydal Penrhos Preparatory School is to enable all children to reach their full potential wherever their ‘gift’ or ‘talent’ lies. This is done by encouraging them to:
- Research given topics
- Research topics of their choice
- Join in clubs
- Participate in competitions
- Work to the best of their ability in open-ended activities
- Submit more extended pieces of work produced over a longer period of time
- Become more independent in their learning
- Play an active part in identifying and planning the next steps in their learning where appropriate
Head of Learning Support
Mrs L Lewis